We all use holidays as an excuse to sit back and relax, but they also give us the perfect opportunity to look after ourselves and take care of our bodies too. So with this in mind, DW Fitness Clubs have put together 5 top tips for those of you jetting off to sunnier climates; helping you to make the most of your time away.
With summer in full swing and schools getting ready to finish for the summer holidays, people everywhere are getting ready for some well-deserved chill out time abroad. Whether they’re headed to the beach or a pool, holidays are the perfect opportunity to sit back and relax. Or are they?
Away from the distractions of work and family commitments, holidays present the opportunity to look after yourself and your own well being. Far too often, people arrive back in work more stressed out and lethargic than ever before, as a result of gorging too much on holiday and remaining inactive.
DW Fitness Clubs have put together 5 top tips for those jetting off to sunnier climates; helping them to make the most of their time away.
1. If your holiday is taking you somewhere hot, it’s important to stay hydrated. Sunbathing, walking and general exposure to the sun will force your body to work harder in order to cool down, and you’ll need to replenish any lost fluids to avoid sunstroke later in the day.
2. For some people, warmer weather suppresses appetite, which means they find it easier to opt for lighter meals, such as salads and fish. Capitalise on this and give your taste buds the chance to try some of the local healthier dishes!
3. Relaxing by the pool might sound like your idea of heaven, but you won’t burn many calories lying on your back! Make sure you jump in the pool and do a few lengths every once in a while. Not only will it cool you down, but it will help to get your blood pumping and work a variety of muscles which don’t often get much attention. It will help you to feel much more confident in your swimwear too!
4. Explore the local area, but we don’t mean just heading down into the local town and check out the market. Why not head out on a hike, take a walking tour or hire a bike and check out the countryside. Not only will you burn around 600 calories per hour, you’ll see much more of the country and hopefully find some hidden gems.
5. Jump in headfirst. Get your blood pumping by joining in with activities such as water skiing, kayaking or rock climbing. Yes they can seem expensive, but they’re always worth it, and you don’t get to do it every day!