A healthy diet full of fruit and veg is better than many medicines your doctor could ever prescribe! Studies show that by upping our fruit and veg intake, we can help reduce our weight, cut our risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, some cancers – and could live longer too. There’s no better way to boost your veg intake than with a stir fry. You won’t find any overcooked, mushy veg here – just fresh, nutritious, fibre-filled deliciousness.
A stir fry is one of the healthiest fast dinners around. When you’re pressed for time or just ‘can’t be bothered tonight’, use this fall-back recipe to ensure that your easy dinner doesn’t skimp on nourishment. We’ve given you choices for each element so that you can stir things up when you fancy or pick your favourites.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 200g wholegrain rice or dried whole-wheat noodles
- 2 tbsp sesame seed oil or good quality olive oil
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, finely chopped ( or 2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1/2 red chilli, finely sliced (or sprinkling of dried chilli flakes, to taste)
- 400g your choice of meat or fish (e.g. chicken, raw prawns or salmon)
- Variety of vegetables (e.g. 6 spring onions, 1 large red pepper, 1 large yellow pepper, 200g mushrooms, 100g sugarsnap peas, 100g baby sweetcorn, 200g tender-stem broccoli or 2 pre-prepared stir fry veg mix from supermarket)
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- Optional: 1 ring pineapple (fresh or in juice), chopped
- Optional: Handful fresh coriander
For allergens, see ingredients in bold.
Vegetarian/vegan Alternative: Swap meat or fish for 200g cashew nuts and 200g broad beans.
- Cook the rice or noodles to packaging instructions.
- Warm the oil in a wok or large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the ginger and chilli to the oil for a minute whilst stirring to prevent burning. Add the meat/fish or cashews with broad beans as chosen and stir, until almost cooked all the way through.
- Next chuck in your choice of veg, stir fry for 3 – 5 minutes, ensuring that any meat/fish is cooked through and the desired tenderness of your vegetables.
- Turn the heat off. Add the rice or noodles, coriander and pineapple to the mix if having and fold through the soy sauce.
Serve and enjoy!